NAVAL ACADEMY. The United States Naval Academy was established in 1845 by Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft as the Naval School in Annapolis, Maryland, and was renamed the U.S. Naval Academy in 1851. Known from the start for its high standards of discipline and efficiency, after the Civil War the academy added new buildings, modernized its curriculum, and began emphasizing athletics. Throughout its history it has conservatively reflected the soundest trends in U.S. engineering institutions, while keeping uppermost the fundamental mission of educating professional officers rather than technicians. Women have been admitted to the academy since 1975. The brigade of midshipmen is kept at a strength of approximately four thousand by a dozen methods of entry, of which congressional appointment supplies the greatest number.
Sweetman, Jack. The U.S. Naval Academy. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
R. W.Daly/c. w.